Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Car Accident

It was the day before Easter, 2006, the worst day of my life.
"AW MAN!" called out Dad. We came running outside. There was a squirrel nest in the engine of Mitzi, our 2003 Mitsubishi Montero.
"We'll take her to Mema's And take the nest out before it catches fire. Then we'll go get candy." Buying candy and going to Mema's were the two things we never got to that day.
"Dad can I drive Mitzi out in the field at Mema's?" I asked.
"If we can get to it," he replied.

We drove down Hickman like we always do. Red light. We had stopped just before the interstate. Green light. Mo inched forward a little but stopped.
"I thought that guy was gonna go," she mumbled. Then she went. We got up to 35 and I heard a deathly scream. Needless to say that was all of us screaming. That's because the Blue Ford Explorer had just pulled in front of us blaring his horn.
CRUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All I thought was "I'm gonna die. This is the end...... Good-Bye."

Our lives didn't quite flash before our eyes. There wasn't time for it to. Next thing I know I'm stumbling away from Mitzi screaming, "WHY US!!!???" I turned to the driver of the Blue SUV. "You could have hit someone other than us you know!!!" Silence. His grandson turned around and puked all over. My shoulder dripped blood. When we had hit them they spun out of control. We however, went flying through the air.

Eventually they took us all to the Emergency Room and got us taken care of. My bleeding arm, dad's "ripped to shreds" knees, mom's eyes and nose, so on and so forth. We went to mom's room and she told me the most devastating news. since I didn't remember anything I was so mad, it was pretty amazing. She had told the cops that someone was about to hit him so he pulled out and we hit him so that he wasn't at fault. At least now I know where I got the quick thinking. We sat in silence before I broke it.

"Dad?"

"Yes?"

"I guess I didn't get to drive Mitzi at Mema's, did I. We didn't get candy either."

Like I said, the next day was Easter. I just sat on the couch and watched Safire and Stryker pick up candy as I went through the other stuff that I got like a crisp 10 dollar bill and a new pair of shorts with a blue collared T-shirt.

"Steele, you need to help them pick up candy!" said my mom.

"No," I said "I'll wait until they're done and pick up what they left behind. My arm hurts and I'm still mad at what happened yesterday. Just leave me alone. I don't care."

"Fine. Whatever. Suit yourself."

That was officially the worst day ever.


blog comments powered by Disqus