Friday, April 23, 2010

My Black Belt Essay

Tae kwon do

Over the past four years I have learned a lot of things from my experience in Tae Kwon Do. It has helped me learn right from wrong. It has also helped my focus and this has helped me raise and keep my grades up in school to where I have no B’s or C’s on my report card. It has made a huge improvement on my behavior at home. Since I have been doing Tae Kwon Do, my sister and I don’t get in as many fights as we used to. I am very proud of my decision to join Tae Kwon Do.

I started Tae Kwon Do in the AIM HIGH program. There I learned the basics, including things like self control, goal setting, indomitable spirit and some other things. These are the things I think about when something happens and I want to get angry. When I remember those things it will usually calm me down and not lead me to bad behavior. That is also how I have been successful in keeping my grades up and paying attention more in school to what the teacher is saying to me and the rest of the class. Based on these basic things, I have been able to change my actions at home and at friends’ houses. They now usually want or have asked me to come over again, so I can do some other things there as well.

During those four years I have really enjoyed the instructors because they are really nice and they always know what moves are the right ones for me. The instructors that I have had in the past include Master Farrell, Mr. Beyer, Mr. Shepek, Master Miller, and some of the most recent instructors are Mr. Bishop and Mr. Minor. There are still more instructors that I have not mentioned but the ones that I mentioned are the first that came to my mind.

During my second or third year, my younger cousin came to watch me at Tae Kwon Do and decided to start going to Tae Kwon Do in Sioux City, Iowa. One day when I went to watch him do his Tae Kwon Do stuff and while I was sitting there watching, I noticed that they had some of the same things that Farrell‘s had but with different names. For example, instead of a 360 roundhouse kick, they called it a tornado roundhouse kick. I thought that was kind of funny. I think that he will really enjoy Tae Kwon Do just like I do.

Also in the AIM HIGH program I learned about healthy food choices and how they can really affect your everyday life. Because of that, my dad and I have limited pop to only once a month, besides on our birthday month and then we are allowed to have two pops and only two pops. Now since my dad and I have been doing that I can guarantee that we are a lot healthier than what we used to be when we could have as many pops as we wanted.

The last thing I wanted to mention is what I learned AIM HIGH stands for. The A for Attitude, the I for In, and the M for Motion, the H for Having, I for Integrity, the G for Goals, the H for Humility. All together that would be Attitude In Motion, Having Integrity, Goals and Humility.

Farrell’s has made some really positive changes, not just in my life, but in a lot of other people’s lives as well. Thank you Farrells for what you have done for me and many others as well. Once again, thank you!

blog comments powered by Disqus